Friday, November 09, 2007

My new conflict

I have a new source of conflict in my life. I feel like I am in a huge struggle with this object. It is kind of like a little war with battles. Over the last week, things have really been escalating. You see, 9 years and 10 months ago, after moving to Brentwood, we purchased this 1 year old used minivan, after realizing that with Andrew going to Livermore to work, we just could not get by on one car anymore.This is the car we used to bring all three girls home from the hospital when they were born. This car has taken us on many trips to Washington, Utah, and other places for vacations. With it's handy movable seats, we were able to buy a second third row seat from a junkyard and make it carry 8 passengers, securing it's survival with our family after the birth of our last child, over four years ago. It has carried our kids to many swim meets, to pre-school, to church each week. It has been with us for a long time.

It has developed lots of little quirky problems, like the gas light and dinger randomly chiming when the tank is full, like the windshield wipers just arbitrarily taking a wipe. Like the speedometer not registering motion on occasion. These kinds of things just give it personality. They are nothing big.

Lately it seems to be deciding it no longer wants to live with us. Maybe it wants a quieter life, maybe it wants to be put to rest. Last week it upped the ante, when it tried to strand me on 580 while going to the temple. It decided to leak out all its coolant and overheat. Fortunately, my dad was with me at the time, and he was able to save me. Now I have to drive around with a gallon of water and anti-freeze, and frequently check to make sure it isn't trying to pull this little stunt again. Not happy with this result, it decided that instead of letting the blinker come on, it would light up the brake light, when I tried to signal for a turn, and occasionaly refuse to shift gears when I am trying to accelerate.

So here is my dilemna, do I continue to fight with this van, and exert my will over it, knowing that it is upping the ante, and may just do some horrible thing and cause me to be stranded somewhere, or do I give it up, and hope we can find a new vehicle to join our family. Both options cause me much turmoil.

If we keep the van, I will always be stressed and worried that every little noise is a sign of some horrible thing about to happen. However, I won't be so worried about messes in the van. If we get something new, I will be constantly worried about everything around me as I drive, being out to mark it up, I will be worried about anything getting in it, (no food or beverages, other than water, even on long cross-country trips for those messy kids). I will stress that the kids might somehow do something to it. Andrew will be constantly worried about the side-view mirrors, and the side of our garage (ok, he already is, but at least now one is already damaged). I will feel guilty anytime I spend extra money on something not really necessary that could be going to pay off the new vehicle. I will feel greedy wanting anything for Christmas.

If we get a new van, does that mean that our old one wins, or do I win?

5 comments:

Celia Fae said...

I feel like I can't comment on this issue.

My husband talks about the cars he used to have like they were children. And he thinks they have personalities. His parents kept the van his sister was born in for 20 years and it didn't even work.
Maybe he would be the one to advise you because I love my Honda.

Audry said...

Well, I think that a car can only last so long, and well it's just a car. And of course I'm greedy so I would want a new car 'cause I would be bored of my old one.

Paige said...

Keep the old van AND get a new one. After it sits in your driveway (or even better, on your lawn!), you will get over your emotional attachment to it and beg them to take it away...

D-dawg said...

I say let the van win! Now that your youngest is getting a bit older you are in a new phase of life and deserve a new car! Although today we thought your family looked cute all packed in there when we passed you going to the Sessions. Being stressed out about payments is no fun, I'll admit. Hmmmm, I feel like I'm not helping.

Juli said...

I think a new van would be nice then you will have somethimg reliable.