Friday, April 04, 2008

Many Hours of Torture

It seems like the theme of this trip was travelling. We took two days to get up to my parents. We stopped in Klamath Falls, Or. on the way up. There was snow there. The boys were especially enthralled with the piles of dirty plowed snow in the parking lot. Travis was hardly in the hotel room at all. Fletcher did not care much for the snow.





Andrew and I left my parents at 1pm Friday to drive to Seattle and catch our flights to Puerto Rico. When we got to the airport we found out that our 11pm flight had been delayed a few hours and we would not be able to make our connecting flight to PR. This happened to be on the day that Chicago had earlier cancelled over 450 flights due to bad weather, it was spring break, and the Friday before Easter. Needless to say all flights on all airlines were already overbooked and things were looking pretty hopeless. After many phone calls, lots of prayers by Andrew's family, and a smattering of patience, some incredible person managed to find us


(Looking so good waiting for a red eye)

a way to Puerto Rico by routing us through Punta Cana, Dominican Republic and changing our airline along the way. We had some fun adventures in this little country (really read some problems caused by being sent to another country and having to deal with immigration and customs). Eventually we made it the ship before it sailed, only 4 1/2 hours later than originally planned and 25 hours after we first set out.

(So happy to have made it to our cabin)

On the way home to pass the time, I decided to try to get pictures of all the dormant volcanoes we passed ( I failed to get them all, but I'm sure I'll have more opportunities). I'm always enthralled by these whenever we drive up to Washington. They are so beautiful rising over the rest of the landscape.


The quiz of the day is: Name That Peak!





(Actually I can't name them all, someday I will have them all memorized)



I think Andrew started to get a bit annoyed with my quest. I almost took more pictures on the way home, then I did the rest of the trip. It did help to break up the monotony of the long drive. If you look carefully here, you can see an upside rainbow around the sun, over Lake Klamath. The ice beginning to melt and break up was also very pretty.



So Andrew and I had 8 days of torture, the kids only 4. We all survived it, including Fletcher.

1 comment:

D-dawg said...

I'm so glad you guys made it to the ship after all of that hassle! We need more pictures of PR!!