Sunday, September 16, 2007

Today in Relief Society we had a lesson on marriage. During the lesson a comment was made about how many of the role models in society are not actually good role models when it comes to marriage, that they tend to prefer living in sin to marriage and sometimes are vocally negative about marriage. One of the sisters took offence at this comment, I think she just didn't hear the whole comment and how it was meant, and left the class. This got me wondering about a couple of things.

1)Are my husband and I being good role models for our children for what a good marriage should be and that marriage is worth it?

2)How easily do I take offence in my marriage, or life, when it probably isn't meant? Am I being overly sensitive or letting the stresses of my day affect the way I hear Andrew, the kids, or others make comments and put tons of negative meaning into them when it isn't intended?
Here we are on our wedding day back in 1992My grandparents on their 55th wedding anniversary, May 23rd 1992, after our family went through the temple with me for the first time, to prepare for my own upcoming marriage.

My grandparents about the time they got married. They were married for over 68 years when my grandpa passed away in 2005. When I was little I used to think that they didn't really love each other very much because they used to bicker alot. One day I saw them kiss and be a little bit affectionate with each other and I was shocked. When I was a teenager and around them more I came to realize that a lot of their fighting was actually playful and they were happy together. Sometimes I wonder what my own kids think about the relationship Andrew and I have, are we making it a positive thing in our home?
These are my grandpa's parents on their wedding day in 1908. I don't know how long they were married, but thought it would be neat to add them. I do know that they were married for life.
Another comment made in class today sort of said that widows are the happiest people, not because their husbands are gone, but because they no longer have the influence of Satan trying to break them apart and helping them to blow things out of proportion or be extra irritated by the little things, and that they really didn't matter all that much, so they only remember the good stuff. (This is my take on what was said). This is a good thing to try to remember when we are taking offence at what others say or do, does it really matter in the whole scheme of things, will it help in any way to be upset over it, it it really worth the effort or energy to be bothered. Wouldn't we better of to just let things go and believe the best.

2 comments:

Celia Fae said...

Excellent, well thought out post that has two distinct points: be a happy married person, and don't take offense easily. I think you should teach next time. Oh, and I love the old photos.

D-dawg said...

It is still fresh and on my mind!!! It was a sad thing to have someone feel so bad and leave the room. But I agree with you that it is better not to be offended if you can help it. And situations like these can be good when they make you think and make changes in your life. I hope it all turns out well though. Great pictures.